Sunday, November 18, 2007

Carriage Barn

Carriage Barn: The gallery itself has been a work of art:

"Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, a dilapidated old estate building has become a veritable temple of New Canaan’s visual and performing arts, serving those who create them as well as those who come to see and appreciate them.

It’s called the Carriage Barn because it once housed the elegant horse-drawn buggies for the Lapham family on the estate that is now New Canaan’s treasured Waveny Park.

But decades of neglect followed until it was resurrected and restored to glory again, this time by a band of hardy volunteers who shared a vision — as well, apparently, as boundless energy. Now its in its 30th year of presenting cultural pursuits ranging from exhibitions of art in all media to chamber music, film festivals, lectures, folk singers and art classes, the Carriage Barn annually draws thousands of people to study, to create, to exhibit and to see, hear and applaud."

"New Canaan" "Waveny Park" - Google Search

New Canaan, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: "The New Canaan Historical Society, 13 Oenoke Ridge, operates seven museums, preserves five historic buildings, collects and preserves material thought to be of local historical value, and supports education programs such as school tours, special exhibits, seminars and publications on New Canaan history. The society was founded in 1889."

Lewis Lapham, a founder of Texaco and father of long-time Harpers Magazine editor Lewis H. Lapham, spent summers with his family at the estate that is now part of the 300-acre Waveny Park. Next to Talmadge Hill and the Merrit Parkway.

Waveny Park on South Avenue "was developed in 1912 by Lewis H. Lapham on what had been Prospect Farm, an early summer estate. In 1967 the Town acquired the 'castle' and 300 acres of surrounding parkland.

Lapham Center: "Lapham Community Center is located in Waveny Park, the original Lapham estate, in a building that was called the 'Bungalow.' Built in 1915 as a summer home for Jack Lapham and his family, it was used every summer from 1916 until just before the start of World War II.

The Lapham Community Center officially opened in September 1996. Mrs. Elise Lapham spoke at the dedication . . ."


Post a Comment

<< Home